Sunday, August 20, 2006
There is a wonder and wildness to life....
I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The past two weeks were the BEST vacation ever! My family is the best in the world! I'm not putting up pictures on this post, but over the next few days you'll see them in several posts:) This time I'm gonna get out all the talking. If you're really brave, you'll stick around for the whole thing, and if you're not, there are absolutely no hard feelings;)
Here goes nothin'!

Sunday, August 6: After church, we piled all our millions of bags in the car and left for Fort Worth, TX. Got there that night, had pizza with my amazing grandparents and aunts and uncles, then got BACK in the car and started driving. We drove all through the night.
Monday, August 7: We had all been sleeping except poor dad who had the job of driving through the night. We had driving all the way through Arkansas and part of Tennessee. We ate at Cracker Barrel in Tennessee...we didn't know exactly where we were, so CJ had to ask the waitress "What town is it?" the confused waitress said that we were in Jackson. Then got back in the car and drove to Abingdon, VA to stay with some old friends of ours, the McCraws. They have the most beautiful kids! And they were kind enough to put us up for the night, which was a big help.
Tuesday, August 8: Drove from Abingdon to Lovettsville, and FINALLY saw everyone! You will never know how good that felt, to all be together again. We had my brother-in-law Dirk make us his famous Chicken Pot Pie. It's one of the best comfort + family foods ever. Took it easy that night, we were all tired out!
Wednesday, August 9: Went to the pool in Brunswick with everyone, then came home and played cards with Annie, Caleb, Nate, Beth, and Caleb out the wazoo!
Thursday, August 10: Went to the lake to swim and hike. That was an adventure! We hiked up to the waterfall, which was awesome, then came back down, prepared all the sandwich condiments, I took a lot of pictures(surprised?), and then, according to Murphey's Law, it starts to rain. We thought of my Pawpop, my dad's dad, and how if he were here, he would've stayed and ate, so we stayed and ate. A little bit later, it starts to POUR! So we went home. If you ask CJ, she'll tell you the incredible blonde moment I experienced while holding Nathan's towel:). That night we had dinner with my brother-in-law Caleb's parents and siblings. I love them! Caleb has two sisters, Abby and Emily, who Beth and I are good friends with. I hadn't seen them in 2 years! So we spent the night there and played Taboo with the guys(my brothers Nathan and Caleb, and Abby and Emily's brothers Ben and Luke).
Friday, August 11: Got home from the Welties', babysat the babies, then that night we all went out(that's right, all 25 of us) to Applebee's. Partly because the Russells were leaving the next day, and partly because it was Sam and Kristen's birthdays. CJ, Beth, and I got Kristen the first season on DVD of "I Dream of Jeannie." Can I get a whoop whoop? Raise your hand if you ever watched that awesome show!
Saturday, August 12: The Russells left that morning, that was sad. That afternoon we made the 2 hour drive to Culpeper(that's where CJ and Nate were born) for a fellowship at Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church. My dad was the pastor there years ago. They heard he was in town, so they threw a fellowship in honor of my parents. It was really sweet. I had a ton of people come up to me and tell me how much I looked like my mother or my father:). That night, Annie, CJ, Beth and I watched "She's the Man." That was hilarious:). Kristen refuses to watch an Amanda Bynes movie:)~.
Sunday, August 13: We went to the Slaughters' church, Good News Presbyerian Church, then ate at Cracker Barrel for lunch. Then that afternoon, we went to the Washington Monument State Park. Hiked up and saw the original Washington Monument, me and CJ swung on the swings to our hearts' content, and I played some soccer with my nephew Warren...he's 5 and he's REALLY good! I was panting to keep up with him!
Monday, August 14: Very interesting day. Dad, Annie, CJ, Nate, Beth, Caleb, Tim, and I went tubing down the Potomac River. CJ, Nate, and Beth pretty much pulled the little boys the whole way. All of us who actually paddled, came home with our arms feeling like they were on fire! CJ and I also fell into the water from the rocks more than once....we also got pretty scraped up from the rocks:) That night, Annie, CJ, Beth and I watched "The Island." we had all seen it except for Annie. Kris was going to watch it, but she had little ones to take care of. Sean Bean is my favorite actor EVER!
Tuesday, August 15: We didn't do anything that day cause we were still so tired from tubing.
Wednesday, August 16: Awesome day! Dad, Annie, CJ, Nate, Beth, Caleb, Tim, Erin, and I went to Washington, DC! That's my new favorite city! I had my first ride on a metro train, we saw the National Archives(the Abolition Petition was my favorite), went to the National Air and Space Museum, took pictures by the Capital Building, saw the Washington Monument, caught a glimpse of the White House, went to the National Museum of Native American History(my dad LOVED it!), and the National Museum of American History. I really wanted to see the Shakespeare Theater, but we had to go home cause Tim had a really bad stone bruise on his heel. Maybe next time;).
Thursday, August 17: Mom, Kristen, Caleb, Molly, Tim and I drove to Woodbridge to see some great friends of ours, the Haynes, who used to go to our church. They have a girl, Lindsey(amazing girl!!!), her brother, David(also amazing!!!) and two little sisters, Elise and Emily(two of the sweetest girls ever!). I love them all so much! Then we came home and ate pizza from Lovettsville Pizza and Subs(never get their pizza). That night we played Taboo. Hehe that was fun. Annie had to describe the word "wrestling" so she jumps up and says "Matt loves--"
and EVERYONE on her team said "WRESTLING!!!" lol. *Tear* that was our last full day in Lovettsville.
Friday, August 18: Woke up at an ungodly hour, said all our goodbyes, and drove away. We all felt miserable. There's nothing quite so sad as leaving ones family. Drove Till 7 pm or so and stayed at a hotel in Nashville, TN. I swear I felt like a Yankee even though I'm from farther south than those people who talk like hicks:).
Saturday, August 19: Woke up badly(those beds weren't very comfortable, and Beth and I were sharing a king-size bed...we made very strict rules about the line down the middle:) ) and found out that dad had gotten food poisoning from the restaurant we ate at the night before. So he didn't eat very much that day. Drove ALL day and got to Fort Worth at around 11 pm or so, and fell right asleep.
Sunday, August 20: Got back in the car, and made the 6 hour drive back to San Antonio. The trip was fairly pleasant from Fort Worth to San Antonio because we listened to "News From Lake Wobegone." Does anyone besides us know what that is?;) So yeah. we're home now. Have been for about 3 hours. A major thank you to the people who left comments on my last post:). Love you all and missed you all! And to all my far away famiy members, I miss you already! I love every last one of you!

Susanna

Joy in the Journey

There is a joy in the journey
There's a light we can love on the way
There is a wonder and wildness to life
And freedom for those who obey

And all those who seek it shall find it
A pardon for all who believe
Hope for the hopeless and sight for the blind

To all who've been born in the Spirit
And who share incarnation with Him
Who belong to eternity stranded in time
And weary of struggling with sin

Forget not the hope that's before you
And never stop counting the cost
Remember the hopelessness when you were lost

There is a joy in the journey
There's a light we can love on the way
There is a wonder and wildness to life
And freedom for those who obey

And freedom for those who obey...

  posted at 18:11  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At August 20, 2006 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

alrighty, shelley
i'm commenting so i can be the first to comment even though i haven't read it all yet. ok i'm gonna comment once i read it in a minute! ttyl ~India

 
At August 20, 2006 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey shelley!
ok, i've read all of it!!
sean bean is my favorite too(hehe...you know why), and i think that if you haven't ever listened to "Lake Wobegone" then you've never lived! ok, i'll ttyl-more than likely in the next few mintues;)!
~Love

 
At August 20, 2006 9:59 PM, Blogger Emily said...

You're home!! YOU"RE HOME YOU"RE HOME YOU"RE HOME!!!!!!!!! I missed you guys so much!!!!!!!!! I still do!!!!!!!!!!! *sigh* but I'm glad you're safe and home.

 
At August 21, 2006 8:42 AM, Blogger Anne said...

suze, you need to post some pics from mom's camera. or else just email them to me :-) erin misses you and still says 'sassie'

 
At August 23, 2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT travelogue, Shelley--that's a lot more detail than I'll be writing out, so I'm glad you did it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me...

Name:
shelley

Location:
Oz

let it be

My Complete Profile


The Cast
  • Family Grandstand
  • Mom
  • Aubrey and Dirk
  • Kristen and Dave
  • Annie and Caleb
  • CJ
  • Bekah and Chris
  • Ali
  • Johanna
  • Nicole
  • Scott
  • Rachel
  • Sarah
  • Erin
  • Longenbaughs
  • Smiths
  • Fehrenbachs
  • Cottles
  • Hoffmans
  • Prathers
  • Dowlings
  • Sabos

  • Recently watched
  • The Proposal
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic
  • Angels and Demons
  • The Brothers Bloom
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
  • Crash
  • Bride Wars
  • A Knight's Tale
  • Aprés Vous
  • Never Back Down

  • Currently anticipating
  • Easy Virtue
  • Sounds Like Teen Spirit
  • Paper Heart
  • The Stoning of Soraya M.
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • Cheri
  • Whatever Works
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • Fame
  • Is Anybody There?
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Public Enemies
  • Paris 36
  • Every Little Step
  • The Soloist
  • New York, I Love You
  • Sherlock Holmes

  • On my bookshelf
  • The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
  • This Is Your Brain On Music - Daniel Levitin
  • Musicophilia - Oliver Sacks
  • 110 People Who Are Screwing Up America - Bernard Goldberg
  • Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  • Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking - Malcolm Gladwell
  • The Grimmerie: A Behind-the-Scenes look at the musical "Wicked" - Gregory Maguire, Winnie Holzman, Marc Platt

  • Under my fingertips
  • Rhapsody on the Theme of Paganini - Sergei Rachmaninoff
  • Moonlight Sonata - Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Arabesque - Claude Debussy
  • Pardita 3 - Johann S. Bach
  • Sonata Pathetique - Ludwig van Beethoven
  • The Church's One Foundation - arranged by Mark Hayes
  • Ballade in G Minor - Frederick Chopin
  • The Great Gate of Kiev - Modest Mussorgsky

  • In my ears
  • The Beatles
  • Andy Davis
  • Rich Mullins
  • Ben Folds
  • Greg Laswell
  • Ingrid Michaelson
  • Regina Spektor
  • Derek Webb
  • Michael Card
  • Jason Mraz

  • If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended, That you have but slumber’d here While these visions did appear. And this weak and idle theme, No more yielding but a dream, Gentles, do not reprehend: if you pardon, we will mend: And, as I am an honest Puck, If we have unearned luck Now to ’scape the serpent’s tongue, We will make amends ere long; Else the Puck a liar call; So, good night unto you all. Give me your hands, if we be friends, And Robin shall restore amends.

  • Say what you mean, mean what you say
    Goodbye for now, so long...
    Summer days are gone too soon, you shoot the moon ...
    Elijah
    I love ya, tomorrow...
    So I thought...

    What's past is past
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    July 2009
    October 2009

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter: