Wednesday, March 12, 2008
i want space, not just air
What a day. Mother has still not gone into surgery. 5 hours late. My goodness. Why can't hospitals run like you see them run in Grey's Anatomy, House, ER, etc. etc.?

Recently seen movies:
La Vie en Rose: Oh my goodness. What an amazing movie. It was beautiful, tragic, exhilarating, and dramatic, among other things. I wish there was something even more important than an Oscar for Marion Cotillard. Her performance was outstanding.

Gone Baby Gone: An incredible crime drama. Casey Afflek has serious talent. A very intense story that is devastating in parts, but well worth it to see the redemption.

The Pianist: What I'm wondering is why I didn't see it until two nights ago. This film has definitely become one of my favorites. Adrien Brody was outstanding as Wladislaw Szpilman. I can't even describe how much I loved it. Very hard to watch in parts, which made it all the more real.

My grandparents are here for two days. I may have said this before, but it gets truer every day: there are no greater people in all the world.

New piano pieces: Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, Chopin's Ballad in G Minor, Holst's Jupiter, Pachebel's Canon in D, Beethoven's 3rd Symphony (1st movement excerpt).

Have you ever noticed that the most beautiful songs in musicals usually go to the male characters? Examples:
Music of the Night - Phantom of the Opera (Phantom)
Giants in the Sky - Into the Woods (Jack)
Dancing Through Life - Wicked (Fiyero)
Miracle of Miracles - The Fiddler on the Roof (Motel)
Any Day Now - The Fiddler on the Roof (Perchik)
Santa Fe - Newsies (Jack)
On the Street Where You Live - My Fair Lady (Freddie)
Snoopy - You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (Snoopy)
Stars - Les Miserables (Javert)
Bring Him Home - Les Miserables (Jean Valjean)
Who Am I? - Les Miserables (Jean Valjean)
Oh, What a Beautiful Morning - Oklahoma! (Curly)
Your Song - Moulin Rouge! (Christian)
My Friends - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Sweeney)
Johanna - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (Anthony)
Old Deuteronomy - Cats (Munkustrap and Rum Tum Tugger)
It Takes Two - Hairspray (Link)
Le Temps de Catedrali - Notre Dame de Paris (Gringiore)
Where Is Love? - Oliver! (Oliver)

"Stars in your multitudes
Scarce to be counted
Filling the darkness
With order and light
You are the sentinels
Silent and Sure
Keeping watch in the night"

  posted at 16:17  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At March 12, 2008 5:19 PM, Blogger Erin said...

OK, I officially want to see all of those movies.

 
At March 13, 2008 6:59 AM, Blogger Anne said...

...let 'em laugh in my face, i don't care...

i need that soundtrack

 
At March 13, 2008 2:33 PM, Blogger shelley said...

don't we all.

 
At March 15, 2008 1:12 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Are you a Sweeney Todd fan (of the stage version I mean)? cause so far I'm the only one I know. I hear it's coming to Houston, but I prolly won't go unless I can group in someone's vehicle.

 
At March 19, 2008 11:35 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

Can I disagree about one thing...while I did love "Gone Baby Gone" and would highly recommend it, there was certainly no satisfaction of redemption. There was no redemption. In that scenario, neither outcome can be celebrated.

 
At March 19, 2008 1:08 PM, Blogger shelley said...

I beg to differ. While it was slightly hidden, the redemption is that Casey Afflek's character essentially did the right thing. If he had made the opposite decision, then there would definitely have been no redemption.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me...

Name:
shelley

Location:
Oz

let it be

My Complete Profile


The Cast
  • Family Grandstand
  • Mom
  • Aubrey and Dirk
  • Kristen and Dave
  • Annie and Caleb
  • CJ
  • Bekah and Chris
  • Ali
  • Johanna
  • Nicole
  • Scott
  • Rachel
  • Sarah
  • Erin
  • Longenbaughs
  • Smiths
  • Fehrenbachs
  • Cottles
  • Hoffmans
  • Prathers
  • Dowlings
  • Sabos

  • Recently watched
  • The Proposal
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic
  • Angels and Demons
  • The Brothers Bloom
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
  • Crash
  • Bride Wars
  • A Knight's Tale
  • Aprés Vous
  • Never Back Down

  • Currently anticipating
  • Easy Virtue
  • Sounds Like Teen Spirit
  • Paper Heart
  • The Stoning of Soraya M.
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • Cheri
  • Whatever Works
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • Fame
  • Is Anybody There?
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Public Enemies
  • Paris 36
  • Every Little Step
  • The Soloist
  • New York, I Love You
  • Sherlock Holmes

  • On my bookshelf
  • The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
  • This Is Your Brain On Music - Daniel Levitin
  • Musicophilia - Oliver Sacks
  • 110 People Who Are Screwing Up America - Bernard Goldberg
  • Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  • Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking - Malcolm Gladwell
  • The Grimmerie: A Behind-the-Scenes look at the musical "Wicked" - Gregory Maguire, Winnie Holzman, Marc Platt

  • Under my fingertips
  • Rhapsody on the Theme of Paganini - Sergei Rachmaninoff
  • Moonlight Sonata - Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Arabesque - Claude Debussy
  • Pardita 3 - Johann S. Bach
  • Sonata Pathetique - Ludwig van Beethoven
  • The Church's One Foundation - arranged by Mark Hayes
  • Ballade in G Minor - Frederick Chopin
  • The Great Gate of Kiev - Modest Mussorgsky

  • In my ears
  • The Beatles
  • Andy Davis
  • Rich Mullins
  • Ben Folds
  • Greg Laswell
  • Ingrid Michaelson
  • Regina Spektor
  • Derek Webb
  • Michael Card
  • Jason Mraz

  • If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended, That you have but slumber’d here While these visions did appear. And this weak and idle theme, No more yielding but a dream, Gentles, do not reprehend: if you pardon, we will mend: And, as I am an honest Puck, If we have unearned luck Now to ’scape the serpent’s tongue, We will make amends ere long; Else the Puck a liar call; So, good night unto you all. Give me your hands, if we be friends, And Robin shall restore amends.

  • Say what you mean, mean what you say
    i can't tell dreams from truth
    take this sinking boat and point it home
    all I can do is keep breathing
    the city should give me its key
    consider yourself one of us
    1,2,3,4 tell me that you love me more
    when the dawn comes tonight will be a memory, too
    tell me your secrets, ask me your questions
    i've been awake for a while now, you've got me fee...
    oh, strut your stuff

    What's past is past
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    July 2009
    October 2009

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter: