Monday, March 24, 2008
how we all enjoy letting loose with a little la-da-dum-dum-dum
Here are the things that have taken up my time recently.

Phantom of the Opera!!!!!!!! I went into it expecting it to be brilliant. I didn't expect it to blow my mind. Christine was flawless. She had a beautiful voice and the spirit that was missing from the film. John Mills actually made me like Raoul's character. He was much more of a man than Patrick Wilson's movie interpretation. And the Phantom absolutely stunned me. Definitely the most amazing tenor I've heard in person. During the curtain call, when all the characters took their bows, many people stood up. When the Phantom came out, the entire house stood up. I really cannot think of anything that I didn't like or that I would have changed. I've heard some people say that they preferred the voices of the characters in the movie version, and to tell you the truth, that seriously offends me. It is impossible to compare Greg Mills' smooth tenor voice to Gerard Butler's rough rock-and-roll voice. These people were classically trained for the express purpose of being onstage someday. The film actors thought it would be cool to be in a movie musical, and all they'd have to do is sing from their nose into a machine that would make them sound halfway decent. I guess those people just don't appreciate the art and talent that is musical theatre like I do. :)

All of us who went:
Hannah, Rachel, India, me, Brian, Kristen, and Beth

My girl Rachel :)


I am officially Psaltina. Oh, what fun we will have.... ;) And if only I wasn't going to be out of town for 1 1/2 weeks this summer: the Woodlawn Theatre is doing The Wizard of Oz! Only the love of my life!


What the world needs most is more male pianists with amazing voices. People like Ben Folds and Harry Connick, Jr. Most definitely.

Several nights ago I introduced several of my friends to the wondrous joy that comes from watching Murder By Death. Have you seen it? You probably haven't. So you should.

Easter was great. All the kids sang the Alleluia Chorus we taught them for Prelude. It was so pretty. And of course, it being Easter, Dad wanted us to take pictures :)


Nathan and I have compiled a list of the greatest performances by an actor ever. While we differ on several, this is our joint list in no particular order (in case you couldn't tell, I love to make lists):
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Capote
Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs
Tom Cruise - The Last Samurai
Sean Penn - I Am Sam
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Edward Norton - The Illusionist
Adrien Brody - The Pianist
Denzel Washington - Training Day
Forrest Whitaker - The Last King of Scotland
Daniel Day-Lewis - My Left Foot
Russell Crowe - A Beautiful Mind
Topol - The Fiddler on the Roof
Gary Oldman - Immortal Beloved
Terrence Howard - Crash
Dustin Hoffman - Rain Man
Kevin Spacey - The Usual Suspects
Johnny Depp - Finding Neverland
Gregory Peck - To Kill a Mockingbird
Jonathan Rhys Meyers - Velvet Goldmine
Adrien Brody - The Village
Christian Bale - Equilibrium
Chris Cooper - Breach
Steve Zahn - Rescue Dawn
Sean Astin - The Lord of the Rings
Cary Elwes - Kiss the Girls
Adam Sandler - Reign Over Me
Jim Carrey - The Truman Show
Richard Dreyfuss - Mr. Holland's Opus
Michael Caine - Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Nicolas Cage - Matchstick Men
Humphrey Bogart - Casablanca

Feel free to give me yours as well. List of actresses coming soon.

I don't care how many people laugh at me, but I saw Titanic (finally) and loved it.

Labels:


  posted at 19:32  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At March 26, 2008 7:48 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

You look fantabulous in all the pics, and I'll repeat that you are prettier than all your friends...poor things having you to show them up all the time. And the list...mostly good (some I haven't seen), and I just now saw Equilibrium, courtesy of my new friend Mel. Wow -- how did I miss that?? But Shell, Shell (or is it Nate, Nate), come on...Elwes in "Kiss the Girls"???? I love him, but that movie was generally terrible, not well acted in any part, bad script, etc, etc, etc. And have either of you actually seen "My Left Foot"?? I agree w/ the choice, but wouldn't have figured you for watching it. I'll close by reminding you of the most important one you left off...Bogart in "Casablanca".

 
At March 26, 2008 8:23 AM, Blogger shelley said...

Oh man...I was seriously going to put Bogart on the list and COMPLETELY forgot! Now regarding your other comments: So you liked Equilibrium? Once you get past the complete implausibility of it, it's a fantastic movie. Aw come on, I loved Kiss the Girls! And Nathan has seen all of My Left Foot, I've only seen parts of it, but enough to know that I don't think anyone else on that list could have played a cerebral palsy patient.

Oh, and I should have mentioned that Russell Crowe was a hard one...we had trouble deciding between A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, and 3:10 to Yuma.

 
At March 26, 2008 1:16 PM, Blogger Born to Dance said...

I have to disagree with some of your list picks.

Humphrey Bogart - definately The Big Sleep

Michael Cain - The Eagle has Landed

Russell Crowe - I'm kind of torn between Master And Commander and 3:10 To Yuma (not that I like 3:10 To Yuma but because Russell Crowe did a really good job.)

Gregory Peck - Twelve O'clock High

Nicolas Cage - World Trade Center

and then of course there were a few actors that you missed.

Audrey Hepburn - Roman Holiday

Charlie Sheen - the Three Musketeers

Gary Cooper - Sergeant York

Erol Flynn - Captain Blood
and
Tyrone Power - The Mark of Zorro (or maybe The Prince of Foxes?)

 
At March 26, 2008 2:05 PM, Blogger shelley said...

if you'll look right below my list, I said that a list of ACTRESSES would be coming soon...which will definitely contain Hepburn's performance in Roman Holiday.
I have to disagree with your alternatives. Cage's performance as an obsessive-compulsive agoraphobe misses World Trade Center by a mile; Gregory Peck did nothing that could even come close Atticus Finch. And there are some times where an actor is great in a movie, but another movie of theirs outweighs it. So is the case with Russell Crowe. Keep in mind that this is the elite of the elite, and only the very very best performances get mentions. The ones you mentioned might have been good, but could not make the list, or they would have been on there.

 
At March 28, 2008 9:25 PM, Blogger Born to Dance said...

I look at performances for the performance sake and the movie's screenplay more than anything else. I avoid comaring movies to any other form of entertainment unless it's something like Phantom of The Opera. Thus, I like Peck's performance in Twelve O'clock high because of the performance itself. I must confess that the last time I saw To Kill A Mockingbird I was really little and I mixed it up with another peck film. I probably mixed the two films because I found them equally boring but I hope to see To Kill A Mockingbird again soon. I know we have it. As a result of my marred memory, I don't really know much of anything about Atticus Finch but I do know that in Twelve O'clock High, Peck did an excellent job in making you truly believe that he was his character. He did such an excellent job in my mind that at first I had difficulty liking his performance in Horatio Hornblower because the character was so different; he did however do a really good job in that movie too.

If you haven't seen The Prince of Foxes or the Mark of Zorro, come to my house and I will show them to you. I honestly feel that those movies are among the best of their era.

 
At March 30, 2008 5:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

lol I'm glad you feel the same way about phantom onstage vs. phantom on film as I do :D there really is no comparison

 
At April 10, 2008 5:02 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

I agree that Gerard Butler has a rough, rock-n-roll voice...but I still liked that better than the voice of the guy who played Phantom when we saw it in February. We didn't get to see Greg Mills - for that performance Phantom was played by an understudy whose name I can't remember. He had a beautiful voice, but I still liked Butler's voice better (just not the rock interpretation of the music that he portrayed).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me...

Name:
shelley

Location:
Oz

let it be

My Complete Profile


The Cast
  • Family Grandstand
  • Mom
  • Aubrey and Dirk
  • Kristen and Dave
  • Annie and Caleb
  • CJ
  • Bekah and Chris
  • Ali
  • Johanna
  • Nicole
  • Scott
  • Rachel
  • Sarah
  • Erin
  • Longenbaughs
  • Smiths
  • Fehrenbachs
  • Cottles
  • Hoffmans
  • Prathers
  • Dowlings
  • Sabos

  • Recently watched
  • The Proposal
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic
  • Angels and Demons
  • The Brothers Bloom
  • The Butterfly Effect
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
  • Crash
  • Bride Wars
  • A Knight's Tale
  • Aprés Vous
  • Never Back Down

  • Currently anticipating
  • Easy Virtue
  • Sounds Like Teen Spirit
  • Paper Heart
  • The Stoning of Soraya M.
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • Cheri
  • Whatever Works
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
  • Fame
  • Is Anybody There?
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Public Enemies
  • Paris 36
  • Every Little Step
  • The Soloist
  • New York, I Love You
  • Sherlock Holmes

  • On my bookshelf
  • The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory
  • This Is Your Brain On Music - Daniel Levitin
  • Musicophilia - Oliver Sacks
  • 110 People Who Are Screwing Up America - Bernard Goldberg
  • Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
  • Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking - Malcolm Gladwell
  • The Grimmerie: A Behind-the-Scenes look at the musical "Wicked" - Gregory Maguire, Winnie Holzman, Marc Platt

  • Under my fingertips
  • Rhapsody on the Theme of Paganini - Sergei Rachmaninoff
  • Moonlight Sonata - Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Arabesque - Claude Debussy
  • Pardita 3 - Johann S. Bach
  • Sonata Pathetique - Ludwig van Beethoven
  • The Church's One Foundation - arranged by Mark Hayes
  • Ballade in G Minor - Frederick Chopin
  • The Great Gate of Kiev - Modest Mussorgsky

  • In my ears
  • The Beatles
  • Andy Davis
  • Rich Mullins
  • Ben Folds
  • Greg Laswell
  • Ingrid Michaelson
  • Regina Spektor
  • Derek Webb
  • Michael Card
  • Jason Mraz

  • If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended, That you have but slumber’d here While these visions did appear. And this weak and idle theme, No more yielding but a dream, Gentles, do not reprehend: if you pardon, we will mend: And, as I am an honest Puck, If we have unearned luck Now to ’scape the serpent’s tongue, We will make amends ere long; Else the Puck a liar call; So, good night unto you all. Give me your hands, if we be friends, And Robin shall restore amends.

  • Say what you mean, mean what you say
    i want space, not just air
    i can't tell dreams from truth
    take this sinking boat and point it home
    all I can do is keep breathing
    the city should give me its key
    consider yourself one of us
    1,2,3,4 tell me that you love me more
    when the dawn comes tonight will be a memory, too
    tell me your secrets, ask me your questions
    i've been awake for a while now, you've got me fee...

    What's past is past
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    May 2007
    June 2007
    July 2007
    August 2007
    September 2007
    October 2007
    November 2007
    December 2007
    January 2008
    February 2008
    March 2008
    April 2008
    May 2008
    June 2008
    July 2008
    August 2008
    September 2008
    October 2008
    November 2008
    December 2008
    March 2009
    April 2009
    May 2009
    July 2009
    October 2009

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:


    Meter: